TRAI launched, a uniform toll free short code “155223” which works across different networks, and which can be used to deactivate the Value Added Services (VAS) in an easy, user friendly and transparent manner through SMS and IVRS. Mobile users can now dial 155223 from anywhere in India to deactivate any type of VAS (Value Added Services) activated on their number.
Prepaid account balance deduction for unwanted Value Added Services is one of the most common complaints of mobile users. With the new service - "155223", users can lodge their complaint on the new number within 24 hours of activation and the operator will have to deactivate the service and refund the amount. In case the user lodges a complaint after 24 hours of activation, he / she will not be eligible for the refund, but the value added service will be deactivated from his / her number.
Now, mobile operators need explicit consent of the subscriber before activating any value added service on his / her number. Consent can only be received by SMS, e-mail, FAX or in Writing within 24 hours. In case no consent has been received within 24 hours, the operator will have to disable the service and refund the amount charged for it.
Procedure to deactivate any VAS through SMS mode:
- Type “STOP” and send it to 155223 from your mobile phone. (A blank SMS may also be sent to 155223)
- You will get a list of all VAS services activated on your mobile number.
- Now reply back with the option of the VAS you want to deactivate, selected from the list of VAS activated on your phone.
- You will receive an SMS informing the receipt of your deactivation request (with the name of VAS) that the service will be deactivated within 4 hours.(In case of incorrect response sent by you, an SMS will be sent to you informing the method once again)
- After actual deactivation of VAS, you will receive an SMS to confirm that the service (with the name of VAS) has been deactivated.
Procedure to deactivate VAS through IVRS mode:
- In each State, the IVRS is available with an option of minimum 2 languages - English and the dominant language of the state.
- On dialing 155223, you will be offered over a recorded announcement, the list of VAS activated on your mobile number. E.g.“...welcome to XYZ Telecom Ltd....to Stop Caller Tunes Press 1, to Stop Cricket Alert press 2...... to repeat press 0...” (in case Caller Tune and Cricket Alert are active)
- You can select the VAS to be deactivated, by pressing the appropriate key for the VAS to be deactivated. E.g. “to deactivate Cricket Alert, you shall press 2.”
- You will receive an SMS informing that the request to deactivate the VAS has been received; it will be deactivated within 4 hours.
- After deactivation of the VAS, another SMS confirming the deactivation of VAS will be sent to you.